FWsim - How to convert/import 3D models into FWsim

Hello everyone!

So I am at the moment new to the FWsim community and to FWsim as well as I just installed it today and I was able to get through the tutorials of how to use the software and everything as well, and I just gotta say, I am already indeed loving this game.

Although, I do have a question that I am curious about and need help. Now, I don’t know if this is something that you are only able to do after you make the fireworks display and make into a video or if this is something you can do before you make the display, but my question is, does anyone know how exactly I can convert or in other words import 3D models/scenery’s into FWsim from any other outside sources, such as Youtube? or I don’t know some other sources? Because recently I have been watching some FWsim recreations of fireworks spectacular from Disney, the ones from Walt Disney World and Disneyland California that includes the castles with the projections on them and the music and even the whole park as well and I am wondering how do they do that? and how or which editing program they are able to get the castle with the projections on them and the music, and by that I have got inspired and wanted to give it a shot as well.

So yeah does anyone know how exactly I can do that? if so, what are the steps? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, you can import 3D models into FWsim. So you can actually import them into the software before you start creating your show. You can also finish your show and then add a 3D model, but then you might discover that the fireworks are in the wrong place - so it’s best to start with a 3D model.

Here’s some more info on how to do that:

The best place to find 3D models is sketchfab:

If you find 3D models on the internet that do not work with FWsim, feel free to post here with a link and I’ll see if we can get them to work.

You also mention “projections”, I’m not quite sure what you mean by that - do you mean video projections? Or reflections of the fireworks? Feel free to post a video to clarify.

Best Regards,
Lukas

Hello, Lukas. Oh, okay great awesome thank you so much for the response! So what I meant by projections, I meant by something like this:

I believe what this person used in order to get the castle with the projections shown as they move to the difference scenes on the castle that are then in sync with the music and the fireworks as a whole and all of that was some sort of video editor program and probably then made the castle transparent or something without the actual background? I don’t know, but I’m trying to figure out how the person did that but I’m not sure and yeah I was wondering if there was a way how I could do that as well

And as well as trying to figure out what type of editor or editing tool the person used in order to do all of that cause I was thinking of probably installing this editing tool app or one of the editing tools like Filmora, Adobe Premiere, Clipchamp or any of those editing tools to see if I could probably do the same by making the castle with the projections shown as they move to the different scenes, being in sync with the music and fireworks being played from a YouTube video, and making it all transparent or separate without the background and then paste it into FWsim?

And Yes, basically the video animation projections as seen in the video link above
But yeah I basically just want to be able to get the whole thing into FWsim, as I mentioned before, as it is seen in the video, the castle with the video animation projections shown as they move to the different scenes, being in sync with both the music and the fireworks but only just without the main fireworks from the original YouTube video that had the castle with the projections and the fireworks and everything.

Example of the original YouTube video:

And in addition to that, I also apologize if all my wording on this post is not sounding clear to you.

Thanks for the explanation.

I can see some video projections in that FWsim video. FWsim currently does not have a feature to do virtual video projections, so the creator of this must have used different software - for example, Adobe AfterEffects.

I don’t know the details of how this was achieved, perhaps you can leave a comment on the video and ask?

1 Like

You’re very welcome! Oh, okay I see. Yeah I might perhaps do that. Thanks so much for the help!

1 Like

Oh, also two quick questions I forgot to ask. So say if I use or want to use Adobe AfterEffects for the stuff but then once I’m done I have to export it to QuickTime or to MP3, but seeing that there are different formats that only FWSim can accept, would I have to then convert it to one or any of those formats that are listed that FWSim can accept?

Secondly, how exactly do I then import what I have into FWSim, seeing that I’m not going to be using Google Warehouse which was mentioned in the steps to how to import models into FWsim?

Thanks again!

FWsim cannot import videos, so you need to do the work in FWsim first. You use the 3D model in FWsim. Then you export a video from FWsim, and then you overlay the projections in AfterEffects. That’s one way to do it, but there might be other ways too.

If you use Google 3D Warehouse (now called Sketchup 3D Warehouse) to get 3D models, they will come in the SketchUp format. You can convert them using the trial version of SketchUp, this is explained here: Finding 3D Models - FWsim Fireworks Simulator

You could also look at other sites, like sketchfab.com . Those models work directly in FWsim without conversion.

Ahh, okay so that’s probably how the person did that recreation of Happily Ever After and then used that original video of the actual show to do the overlaying. Okay, so question to your first response about doing the work in FWsim first, cause I honestly was doing the opposite and was doing all the work in AfterEffects by making the castle as a separate object and was about to try and put it into FWsim and so on. So therefore, in that case then, how exactly would I then overlay the projections in AfterEffects? Like would I first import the video of the fireworks I did in FWsim to AfterEffects and then bring the original video that had the castle with those video animation projections shown and then overlay them both by making the castle a separate object or color the background black except for the castle from the original video that had the projections shown or something? I don’t know how this works
and I know there are lots of tutorials out there about this but I honestly can’t tell which exact tutorial talks specifically about this, about overlaying projections.

Secondly, question to your second response about the converting and stuff for the 3D models, so seeing that there are also other sites that I could use, would it also be possible if I could use this as my 3D model? and then once I have the model in game I will then be able to do the work in FWsim and then do the video and then import it to AfterEffects? And would this model work for FWSim? in meaning for the format?

Ah, okay I see. So responding to your first answer about the additive blending, so is the additive blending in After Effects called Blending Mode? Or is additive blending one of the modes in blending mode? Cause I tried doing some research and the only thing I found was Blending mode and not additive mode.

Yeah, “blending mode” is the setting you need to use. Additive should be one of the options. It might also be called differently. What you want is basically this: the parts of your video that are black will become invisible, and the others will be visible. So you get a seamless projection onto the building. You could try around the various modes, and find one where your video becomes transparent in black areas.

Right. KMZ files should work in FWsim. If the model doesn’t work, just let me know.

Yes, you will probably be able to export from FWsim and then load the video into AfterEffects. Choose the MP4 format when exporting in FWsim.

Ah, okay I see. So responding to your first answer about the additive blending, so is the additive blending in After Effects called Blending Mode? Or is additive blending one of the modes in blending mode? Cause I tried doing some research and the only thing I found was Blending mode and not additive mode. Although, I was able to find something about overlaying videos and how to overlay videos but mostly found how to overlay images as well but I guess it is almost the same thing for videos.

Yes, the model that I am talking about is the one from the video I sent which is the Pryoplose one and also unfortunately I am not able to send it because it is a kmz file and it is not an authorized file for some reason for me to send it to you but the video that says FWsim Walt Disney World Fireworks by Pryoplose, that is indeed the model and I was therefore wondering that if I am able to use this model, depending on the format, which I do believe it might work with FWsim, and once I do the work in FWsim and then do the video recording of the work I did or export it to a video, will I then be able to import the video to After Effects and do the overlaying or whatever from there? In meaning, would this all work in After Effects?

1 Like

Oh, okay great awesome! Thank you so much for your responses as I do appreciate them and for the help as well and I will let you know if anything or if something doesn’t work out perfectly.

2 Likes