How to make these effects from Luminous

How do i make these effects from Luminous : The Symphony of Us. Step by step if you can. Also note Spotlights would be amazing to add to the program. https://youtu.be/s42ahfHnNT8?si=qJVOdTd2Ghy6En6w

Hi,

thanks for posting. Which specific effect do you mean - do you have a timestamp?

And thank you for your suggestion to add spotlights!

1 Like

2:45 3:49 4:47 5:13 5:29 5:32 5:56 6:24 7:46 8:28-8:34 8:49-9:16 9:27-10:15 11:09-12:11 14:16-14:34 14:38-14:56 15:11-15:16 15:19 16:17 16:31 16:47 16:52-16:58 18:01 18:23-18:04! Also how do i do that shotgun effect at 17:26 17:45 17:47? The mine Hearts would be cool also.

1 Like

All effects minus lighting or fountains. ^

1 Like

Sorry, we don’t have the time to give you advice on all these effects.

I suggest you check out the effect editor documentation here: The Firework Editor | FWsim User Manual

If you have an effect that you don’t know how to create, feel free to post here!

1 Like

I took a look at the video and tried some personal interpretations. The first thing I would do is to break down the single effect, trying to identify its key traits. For example, the firework at 4.47 I would say it’s a “silver kamuro to turquoise tips”.
I made a variation on this which has an extra feature, which is a final transition to purple tips.
This is the end result:

The following can be the steps:

1. Start from a base (I used the standard FWsim Peony) and then choose the size (I wanted to make a small effect, so a 50mm shell would suffice).

2. Set up the shape’s stars (in this case, sphere, 32). Since it’s a small shell we cannot fit so many stars there, and we will limit ourselves to a small amount. Let’s also tone the speed and position randomness. I imagine this shape to be crafted well, so I used values of 2% for speed and 5% for position randomness.

3. Set up the shell life parameters as well as its star types. As we said, it’s a small shell so we will use xsmall stars that will look good. To have an interesting effect while the stars burn at “random times” I used the following. The bigger the difference between minimum and maximum lifetime, the more this effect will be prominent. Below you can find the exact parameters I used.
    immagine

4. Remember to think of the single pyrotechnical star! They usually come in sequence, so it is difficult to create a star which has both a trail and a tip! In this case, we took some liberties. The brightness is set up so that the shell starts with the silver trail, and then at some point, it starts emitting the green light. In the very end, at the very “core” of the star, the shell changes colour (I chose a purple one here) and then it ends. Below there is a scheme of this hypothetical composition of the single star.
    compos

5. To create the Silver Kamuro:

• Add a Tails component, and set it up with the following data, which creates the main slow glittering silver effect:
  • Duplicate the previous tail! (Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v) and then, in this new instance, remove the strobe and make it smaller, around 35-40%. This creates the main silver streak which burns away.
  • Let’s add another tail, this time make it brownish/orangish. Why? Because we want to simulate the burning of the trail. While it’s true that it starts out as silver, the metals will burn away quickly and then the charcoal composition will make it look a bit orange. These are my parameters for it:
  1. To create the Purple tips:
  • Add a Tails component, choose purple as the colour. The trick here is all in “simulating” a simple firework star, but with much more feasible options, such as controlling exactly when it will appear. This is my data.

As you can see, it’s just the final 5% of the firework, it burns for 33 seconds and has about 10 particles.

Experiment and patience are key here in effect creation but it can pay off a lot once you put in some effort. You will realize that it’s easier than it seems. I would say that you could start by trying to replicate the effects you can think about how they can be made with ease, or take a look at how the included effects of FWsim are made. If I get some time to think of interesting effects, I will let you know.

2 Likes

Some of the shells from your timestamps are scrambling comets, which are currently not supported in fwsim, the rest are all possible to make. Start building up your own fireworks effect base, so you will be able to use them and create more new effects as they are similar in forms (but different patterns).

It takes time, but thats where the fun is.

2 Likes

That being said, I could provide a similar comet tail mine from the time stamp 11:09 (you will have to add more strobe silver stars)

35mm strobe comet tail w_ silver strobe mine dw.fwe (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

Where is this core at? Trying to find this but nope

1 Like

There’s also this
Screenshot_20240723_223640_YouTube

1 Like

Also these

1 Like

So the core here is actually the final part of the firework, where in the video I posted you see the purple at the very end. When you craft a firework star in real life, you need to think “reversely”. What I mean by this is that when you are making rolled stars, you first work on the “final” effect of the star (in this case it would be the purple tip), then you make the green tip layer, and finally the silver kamuro one.
For a visual image, these are rolled stars:
immagine

These instead are pumped stars placed in the firework:
immagine

Trivia: with pumped stars, you can make the so-called Matrix and/or “Married” stars, when two effects (for example a red tip and a silver glittering tail) are pressed or glued together, and you get both of the effects at once!

The other photos you posted are tourbillons or farfalle with glitter and while they’re in FWsim already, they are not customizable.
Below you have what looks like a titanium comet with a white tail, and in the end, a red mine with glittering (?) tips.
Aside from the gold tourbillon/farfalle, I’m fairly sure that with some effort you can replicate the other effects in FWsim.

2 Likes

Oh wow that’s interesting.

1 Like