Skybox import question

So I’m exporting Skyboxes from Space Engine to use in FWSim but I always have to rotate the up panel by 90 degrees for it to appear correctly in FWSim.
I was wondering if this was down to Space Engines export or FWSIms import.
Any Ideas appreciated.
Regards

2 Likes

Hi Phil,

good to hear you are creating your own skyboxes. Would you be willing to make a tutorial for the forum? (If you do that, I’d love to link it from our Facebook page)

Skyboxes are not standardized, so it’s just a random accident that we chose one orientation for our file format, and Space Engine chose another one.

If you do the 90° rotation, does it look correct then? Would be curious to see screenshots!

Best Regards,
Lukas

2 Likes

Hi
Yeah I can put together a tutorial on how I am making skyboxes with the software I am using (Affinity Designer) and I can even share any of my templates that I have made if that would be of any help.

The ‘Pro’ edition of Space Engine exports ready made skyboxes in seperate panels that just need renaming to bring into FWsim apart from the 90 degree turn on the top panel…things can still look a little funky when it comes to things like nebula but for star scapes and galaxies etc this seems to be working for me.

I must stress that I am very much just a hobbyist and I will often take my results and use them in my fave music visualizer as well…I also use other little tools like FlowScape and Sky Creator (Available on Steam) to help me generate images for my skyboxes but the principles are pretty much the same for any art or 3D software I guess.

Regards.

2 Likes

Sounds great, looking forwards to that!

Cool. Yeah, the concept of skyboxes is pretty clear: six images, of 90° x 90° field-of-view each. Some programs, like FWsim, have skyboxes as six individual files. Others put all six images next to each other within one image file. If you encounter a format that doesn’t work with FWsim, let me know and I’ll see what we can do to help.

2 Likes

So I found a really useful little online tool for creating skyboxes from panorama images that works really well with FWsim.

The Left and right faces need to be swapped and the ‘up’ needs to be rotated 90 degrees to the right (in Windows 10 just right click on the file and select ‘Rotate right’).

You don’t need to worry about the ‘down’ face.

This is how I rename the faces once you have downloaded them (image file names).

pz → left
px → front
nz → right
nx → back
py → up (rotate right 90 degrees)

From there just make a folder of a name of your choice, put your 5 image files into it and drop it into the resources/skyboxes folder in your FWsim installation folder and you are good to go.

Hope this helps someone.

Kind Regards.

3 Likes

You are very welcome Lukas…don’t ask again.

1 Like